CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, March 7, 2010

The dilemma

So, recently I have been starting to want a dog. Andy loves seeing and playing with dogs. Tonight we were at Scott & Megan's house. Andy loved playing with their dog Bella. He just sat under the table with her and pet her head. Bella gave him tons of kisses, but Andy seemed to love it. We looked under the table at one point and Andy was trying to put a dog toy in Bella's mouth. I was surprised how fearless Andy was. He pretty much had his hand in Bella's mouth. It was so fun to watch them play together.

Now, my dilemma is.... I don't want to be stuck with finding a babysitter for a dog anytime we want to leave town. It seems like we are gone a ton during the summer, so this would be a pain. I also don't want to deal with poo and pee on our lawn. I know you can train them to go in a certain area, but still, I don't want to deal with that stuff. Another problem is we would have to fence off our backyard. Fortunately the dog I want (a Labradoodle or a goldendoodle) doesn't shed, so that gives the pro side of getting a dog one point. What should I do? I know everything I just said would point to not getting a dog, but I also think it would be fun to have a good family dog to take camping, on river trips, running etc. Plus, how could I pass up having a cute dog like these?



4 comments:

Knutson Family said...

First off, a sissy dog with a perm and "oodle" anywhere in its name is not going to be a good camp dog or a river dog. You need a more surly mutt for those kinds of adventures. Looking at those pictures, I'd say what you really need is just a teddy bear. They look just like those dogs, but they don't shed, run away, or poop on your bed.

But if you really want a dog, the solution here is self-evident, you just have to think in reverse: You give Andy to the neighbors with the dog. Wanna go camping? Just ask to borrow the kid and the dog. When you've had your fun, you give them back. No hassle, no responsibility. Boom. Problem solved.

Rebecca said...

LOL, I've felt this exact same thing. My suggestion: wait a year. Every time you go on a vacation/trip, think to yourself, "Okay, I would be finding a babysitter or having to bring the dog along." If at the end of the year you think you're okay with that, go ahead. But I do agree with te first comment, don't ge a dog that needs grooming to look good (which pretty much eliminates any long hair dog).

My mom has a chow, and it's a PAIN. He's an AWESOME dog, but he has to be groomed all the time, and if he isn't, he doesn't look very good.

Also, don't forget to factor in vaccinations, vet bills, medications, pet food, etc. It's a pretty big financial commitment even after you've purchased it

Ben and Michelle said...

Wow I never thought I would hear those words out of your mouth....I thought you would never get a dog! I love goldendoodles! They are so cute, don't shed, and eat less than a golden retriever due to the poodle side. I would love for you to get a dog, but you just have to decide if you want two kids to take care of?

Chelsea said...

First off we have a goldendoodle.... and he is SUCH A RIVER CAMPING DOG! We go camping alll the time and he swims in the river like it is nothing... also we bought him as a puppy when I was pregnant... which our dog is now 2 yrs old and we have an 18 month old, they are best friends. Yes the poo and pee is annoying. But we love him non the less and honestly they are not sissy dogs. It gives our daughter someone to play with sometimes. Also they may shed a little bit esp when they get there summer coat. Sorry to just post a random comment, but I thought I would share my input.